Important

This blog setup is not official with Square Enix or in any way connected. This project is about how Final Fantasy X-3 can be from my (Lee A. Funnell) perspective. The plot and ideas are mine. Anything that this project contains is not aimed to offend or insult non fictional related. This is a fictional story but an apology in advance anyway. This is just my explanation for my project at hand and for those who wish to learn more.

Monday 1 February 2010

Realising something about the project

With January (2010) come and gone it means I've now shifted my efforts from "Lenne's and Shuyin's Story" to "The Final Chapters". March (2010) will be the nesxt period of time devoted to "Lenne's abd Shuyin's Story". So what I thought I would do is give a little update on the development of "Lenne's and Shuyin's Story".

The latest version of "Lenne's and Shuyin's Story" consists of 100,409 words and 178 pages. As stated in previous posts, the plot of "Lenne's and Shuyin's Story" is practically finished, the only work being done is proof reading and changing any contents that is either vague or lacking in sense.

What I've realised is that in my ambitions to create a plot/story for Final Fantasy X-3 which may attract some interest, I've got it my head that both its predecessors (Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2) made landmarks in the Final Fantasy series which have since become part of every (or some) Final Fantasy since. For example Final Fantasy X is the first Final Fantasy to include voice actors for the characters, whereas Final Fantasy X-2 is the first direct sequel in the entire series and brought about a more flulid ATB system.

With Final Fantasy X-3, I want to follow in that respect by introducing new elements which may be incorporated in future developments. A few of these new elements is Stamina and its implications in battles, Strategic Damage and events dubbed "Situation Critical!". Final Fantasy X-3 is focused on telling an unforgettible story (stories), being a landmark in graphics, presentation, gameplay sound and audio but also making new ground and providing influance to future developments and ideas as was Final Fanatsy X and Final Fantasy X-2.

Anyway, back with what this has to do with "Lenne's and Shuyin's Story"... What I've come across in my writing is the inclusion of violent scenes and abuse. An example of a scene of violence is when Lenne awakens after a restless night upon Mt. Gagazet to have a companion summoner impaled right before her eyes and to have the summoner's blood splattered over her. Another scene is where Lenne heads to the frontlines (Calm Lands in Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2) and whilst passing through Mt. Gagazet, Lenne finds suffering, sorrow, death, those left to die and the look of fear and terror in the eyes of those who watched the devastation and horror of war.

Why have I done this you might ask? "Lenne's and Shuyin's Story" is based upon the same time a war between Zanarkand and Bevelle is ongoing (known later as the Machina War". What I am trying to do in my work is telling and describing the realities of the war which intensifies into a bloodbath (for Zanarkand) and some of the horrific elements of war. There are scenes of abuse and cruelty which further promote the darker elements of which the war brings out of characters who are cold and cruel anyway like Yu Yevon for example.

One of the implications I write about and want to promote in Final Fantasy X-3 is more realism. In previous Final Fantasy titles there are things that are missed out (either because of technical difficaulties, morality, sensitivity etc.). I may get shot for this but if I may, I would like to take a scene of the Nibelheim Incident from Final Fantasy VII (7) as an axample of what I'm on about. (Warning! Spoiler!) When Sephiroth razes Nibelheim and kills those who oppose, there is a lack of mortality shown (i.e. blood splatter or the reactions before the victims die). There are others scenes too where one can imagine the scene upon stumbling on a dying friend. Don't get me wrong, Its not criticism! And of course in the various additions to the Final Fantasy VII (7) series, such as Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII scenes are remade far more realistically. But these scenes only appear as videos such as the ending and not whilst in gameplay. This is understanable and perhaps the last thing Square Enix wants is bad press about how their products may inadvertantely encourage actions that should not be done in reality.

The point that I'm trying to get at is that my concept of Final Fantasy X-3 is a bit of a rule breaker and if it were actually put into production, I would be shocked if it weren't rated by the BBFC as "15" at the least. I'm not saying that I am deliberately aiming to create a concept for a game that is violent and may offend. I'm not implaying that during battles, a Bevelle Striker has to splurt out blood when a sword is used for attack. Its just I have scenes in both "The Final Chapters" and "Lenne's and Shuyin's Story" that use violence such as Tidus fatally striking Raphas with his sword or Lenne stumbling upon a recently made masacre. "The Final Chapters" includes scenes of a sexual nature. I'm just trying to promote a better sense of what's going on and give an example of the depth and capabilities that can be achieved in this day and age.

Sure, I can "edit" these scenes so it were "acceptable" but understand it when I say there is no aftermath or consequence I haven't considered which may arise if the contents of my project were made public or into a reality and cause controversy, allogations etc. Of course an audience may not approve still but then its something I've taken into consideration from day one and can only apoligise in advance if an audience takes offence or complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment